3/5/09

Queen Esther, Revolutionary

The Gemara tells us that the essence of Esther is “וְאָנֹכִי, הַסְתֵּר אַסְתִּיר פָּנַי” – that G-d will hide His face from us.

But Esther also means something else. We say in Tehillim 27 (L’Dovid Hashem Ori) an amazing line: “ אַל-תַּסְתֵּר פָּנֶיךָ מִמֶּנִּי” – G-d, do not hide your face from me! I will not accept your hiddenness! We may live in a world of darkness, but I will not be at peace with it!


And this is also the essence of Esther’s name – אֶסְתֵּר = אֶ + סְתֵּר. Esther = אַל-תַּסְתֵּר– do not hide from me!

Esther’s challenge is to experience hester panim, G-d’s hiddenness – “וְאָנֹכִי, הַסְתֵּר אַסְתִּיר פָּנַי” - but then to revolt against it! “ אַל-תַּסְתֵּר פָּנֶיךָ מִמֶּנִּי” - Father in heaven, do not hide; show me your face! Save your people!

No comments: