2/9/09

Kimu Mah She-kiblu Kvar

The holiest of days is only 30 days away.

Over Tu Bshvat dinner last night, the Danimal told over some words he had heard at a "conversion party". A certain very holy, brand new Jew was explaining the spiritual high that he experienced at the moment when he joined Am Yisrael. He explained that he felt a tremendous joy in accepting upon himself, in complete finality, the responsibilities of a Jew. He realized that there was no going back;', once a Jew, always a Jew. And it gave him the greatest happiness he had ever known.

As he was dying at the hands of Roman soldiers, Rebbe Akiva said the Shema with a smile. The Roman soldier, incredulous, asked how he could smile through such pain. Rebbe Akiva answered: "all my life, when I said the words, 'You shall love Hashem your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your means', I was saddened - for while I have loved Hashem with all my heart and means, I did not know if I could love Him with all my soul (by giving up my life). Now that I am giving my life, and the hour for reciting the Shema has come, and my resolution remains firm, should I not smile? (Talmud Yerushalmi, Brachot 9:5)

A Convert sacrifices his life as he has always known it; one who dies "Al kiddush Hashem" certainly does the same. Can most of us ever make such a statement of dedication, of complete acceptance? And can we ever know the joy that comes with it?

When the Piacetzner Rebbe was 40 years old, he wanted to take something on in his service of God. But he already learned Torah in every spare minute. He already davened with fire. What was there left to do, to take on? The Rebbe decided to take on the greatest, the most difficult task - to be a Jew.

On Purim, the Jewish people were kimu mah she-kiblu kvar. They had always been Jews. But on Purim, they took on the task of becoming Jews. Maybe this is the joy of Purim - the highest joy a Jew can ever know...

No comments: