4/25/07

Rebbe's tzedaka policy at the kotel
After returning from A trip to Israel a few years ago I cynically asked rebbe one day in shiur " What should I do when all of the shnorers approach me at the kotel asking for money? I went on to explain to rebbe that some are not legit and pray on stupid americans who are overcome with emotion as they visit their estranged homeland. Rebbe explained as follows: He carries dollars with him when he goes to the kotel. He has his regulrs who he knows are legit and gives them a check or a benjamin. For the rest Rebbe makes the following deal with the creator of the world. Rebbe says"Hashem, It could be there are some jews who will approach me at the kotel to ask for money that they don't really need. Now I am going to give to everybody without asking questions. Sometimes I ask for things that I don't really need, so when I do, please give those things to me without asking any questions. May we be zocheh to give without asking questions even if we may get a scamed from time to time. viva la rebbe!

1 comment:

Danimal said...

I too remember hearing this story from Rebbe. It really left an impression on the way I give to random people...